I have several amusing stories talking about Balut to non-Filipinos and all of them never fail to humor me. Here’s one chat conversation I had with my foreign cyber employer after thanking him for a merit.
Me: hey boss thanks for the merit appreciate it much.Well who wouldn’t be scared of Balut? Try looking it from search engines (eg: Google) and you will find these facts:
Boss: no problem. wazzup?
Me: not much. we’re eating balut & thot of sending u some
Boss: oh wow thanks for the thots! what’s balut?
Me: it’s better seen and eaten than describe so pls wait till u see it
Boss: hmn don’t trust u when u say things like that. pls don’t make me google it
Me: pls don’t google it
Boss: just a sec
Me: oh no u r definitely googling it. I said pls don’t
Boss: pls don’t send me that balut or I’ll cancel your merit
“A balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell”.
As far as everybody knows anything that is “boiled alive and eaten” is not only horrifying but also gross.
3. It falls under these food categories:
- 10 Weird Foods in the World
- Top 10 Most Gross & Disgusting Food
- The 6 Most Terrifying Food in the World
- The five most disgusting food ever
5. YouTube has LOTS of videos titled “How to Eat Balut”.
Again, as far as everybody knows anything that has lots of “how to“ is difficult and strange.
6. Food bloggers described it as:
- Superman has his kryptonite and I have balut.
- a delicacy infamous in Filipino culture that can put a crippling chill in the spine of grown men almost as quickly as talk of "aswang"
- Balut is the culinary heart of darkness
- culturally complex cuisine
- Balut will haunt you after you ingest it, It stays with you forever
- a jack in the box kind of food
- a popular and affordable street food
- always available especially during night time, just wait for someone in the street to shout a sing-song “Baluuuuut"
- is protein rich and a good aphrodisiac
- is eaten the way Americans normally eat hotdogs or kids to ice cream
*Photo from Google images